Obsessed with technology?
Subscribe to the latest tech news as well as exciting promotions from us and our partners!
By subscribing, you indicate that you have read & understood the SPH's Privacy Policy and PDPA Statement.
News
News Categories

Samsung aims to ship 8 million QLED TVs in 2020

By Ng Chong Seng - on 4 Mar 2020, 11:31am

Samsung aims to ship 8 million QLED TVs in 2020

We know that Samsung Electronics is the number one TV manufacturer for the last 14 years and that it aims to sell more QLED 8K TVs this year. But what kind of numbers are we talking about exactly?

Citing industry sources, Korean publication The Elec reports that Samsung intends to ship 8 million QLED TVs in 2020. This is a big jump from the 5.3 million that the company managed in 2019.

To be clear, this is QLED TVs we’re talking about here, which is still a relatively small segment of the entire TV market. For comparison, the report says that Samsung’s 2019 QLED TV sales only accounted for roughly 12.1% of the company’s total TV sales.

That being said, the 5.3 million QLED TVs that Samsung sold last year already amounted to 90% of the worldwide QLED TV market. The remaining 10% went to players such as Vizio, TCL, Huawei and Hisense.

So, who’s behind Samsung in the TV market? LG Electronics, apparently, and that’s both in terms of unit and value share. While there are many OLED players now, LG still ships most of the world’s OLED TVs (65%).

Read next: Samsung's Q950TS is a gorgeous QLED 8K TV with nary a bezel.

Source: The Elec.