MediaTek Dimensity 800 5G chipset to bring flagship features and performance to the mass market
Mediatek Dimensity 800
At CES 2020, MediaTek today introduced its Dimensity 800 Series 5G chipset family that the company says offers powerful system-on-chips (SoCs) with integrated 5G modems to deliver flagship features, power and performance to premium mid-range 5G smartphones.
The company says that the single-chip solutions offer a combination of connectivity, multimedia, AI and imaging in an ultra-efficient 7nm chip.
"MediaTek already launched its flagship 5G smartphone solution, the Dimensity 1000, and with the 800 series 5G chipset family, we are bringing 5G to the mid-tier and mass market," said TL Lee, head of MediaTek's wireless business unit. "Everyone should have access to great technology. The Dimensity 800 Series will power the New Premium segment for 5G, bringing consumers flagship smartphone features and performance at mid-range price points."
The chipset is designed to support both stand-alone and non-standalone sub-6GHz networks. It includes multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G and also supports Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS). The Dimensity 800 series includes support for services such as Voice over New Radio (VoNR), delivers seamless connectivity across networks, and offers both data and voice on 5G.
Additionally, the company claims that the chipset's integrated 5G modem delivers extreme energy efficiency and is a more power-efficient design than other solutions in the market.
MediaTek's strategy of delivering high-end features to mid-market segments is reflected in the Dimensity 800 features and specifications that includes:
- Four Performance Cores: The Dimensity 800 Series is a performance powerhouse that pairs four Arm Cortex-A76 cores operating up to 2GHz, with four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2GHz. With more performance cores, launching demanding gaming applications is faster, and there's significant improvement to multi-threaded performance. The Dimensity 800 series is first to introduce this advanced four flagship-class core architecture to the mainstream segment.
- Flagship-grade GPU: Four cores of Dimensity 1000-class GPU IP, combined with MediaTek gaming technology -- HyperEngine -- provide a no-compromise gaming experience.
- MediaTek's APU 3.0 (AI Processing Unit): With four cores uniquely consisting of three different core types in its design, the 800 series provides up to 2.4TOPs performance. MediaTek's APU HW design is more efficient and more powerful for FP16, delivering the most precise AI-camera results.
- Unparalleled Imaging: The flagship-class image signal processor (ISP) supports up to four concurrent cameras, allowing brands to have unparalleled freedom in smartphone design. The 800 series supports up to 64MP cameras sensors or large multi-camera options such as 32+16MP dual cameras that are backed by the ultra-efficient hardware depth engine.
- Premium AI Camera Enhancements: MediaTek put its flagship-class AI-camera enhancements into the 800 series. The chipset family includes AI-autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (AI HDR) and dedicated facial detection hardware, along with the world's first multi-frame 4K video HDR capability (Video HDR).
- Ultra-Smooth Displays: The 800 series can support ultra-smooth Full HD+ displays up to 90Hz refresh rate.
The Dimensity 800 series is designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks that are being deployed with increasing coverage throughout Asia, North America and Europe during 2020. The first devices featuring Dimensity 800 Series SoCs are expected to launch in the first half of 2020.
Not the only 5G mass-market chipset
MediaTek's Dimensity 800 is not the only chipset launched recently that targets the mass market. Qualcomm announced their Snapdragon 765, 765G and 865 in December 2019, with manufacturing partners expected to deliver devices based on them soon.