WD Photos Free Photo Viewer App for iPad and iPhone Accesses Images Stored on WD Network Drives
LAKE FOREST, Calif., -- WD® (NYSE: WDC), the world's leader in external storage solutions, today announced WD Photos™ (photo), the newest release of its photo viewer app, which is now optimized for iPad™ and iPhone®4. Available as a free download from iTunes®, the WD Photos app provides remote access to photos stored on a WD network hard drive including My Book® World Edition™, My Book Live™ and WD ShareSpace™. The images are displayed in native iPad and iPhone resolution, and users can access up to 285,000 of their favorite photos anywhere they can access the Internet by simply copying their pictures into the "Shared Pictures" folder on their WD network hard drive. The WD Photos photo viewer app offers a variety of new features that allow users to stay connected to more of their digital photos, including:
- Pinch and zoom functionality so consumers can digitally zoom in on the displayed photo;
- Horizontal split view for iPad;
- Option to instantly post photos from the WD Photos app to users' Facebook® wall;
- New slideshow transitions including pan and zoom, page curl, and cube;
- Increased 5 GB capacity to support iPad's larger memory and higher resolution;
- iPad full screen support at 1024x768; and,
- iPhone HD/OS 3 & 4 support.
- WD Photos photo viewer app, optimized for iPad and other leading Apple® mobile devices, fulfills the growing demand to view, store, and consolidate photos on the go. With over 2 million iPads sold as of May 31, 2010 (Apple), the iPad has been embraced enthusiastically by consumers to access and share their digital content.
Although digital photo viewing is not new, research firm Parks Associates says the practice is still on the rise. According to a recent Parks survey, 68 percent of broadband households viewed digital photos at least monthly in 2009, compared to 59 percent in 2006 (Parks Associates: Consumer Storage Opportunities 2010). Combining the centralized storage and remote access benefits of WD's network drives with the iPad is a natural fit with this rapidly growing consumer behavior.
"Viewing pictures on an iPad is a great experience. WD Photos leverages the iPad's beautiful multi-touch screen to enable truly intuitive navigation of thousands of photos," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group. "With our application, consumers can share a lifetime of photos right from their sofa without worrying about which photos to sync or how they're organized. With access to up to 285,000 photos stored on a WD network drive, users can have instant access to all their photos wherever they are."
WD Photos Photo Compatibility
Available for download now at the Apple iTunes Store®, WD Photos photo viewer app is compatible with iPad, iPhone, iPhone 4, and iPod touch® and works with My Book World Edition, My Book World Edition II, WD ShareSpace, and My Book Live. Users must register with WD's free, secure MioNet® remote access service to use the WD Photos photo viewer app.