Sony Rolls Out Android 4.0 Update for Tablet S and P (Update)
*Update: Sony Electronics Singapore is pleased to announce that an over-the-air update to the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for the Tablet S and P are available from today (31 May 2012) onwards.
Sony announced on its blog that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is now available for the Tablet S. Some of the new features include:
- Enhanced lock screen where you have direct access to notifications and camera mode
- New panoramic camera mode
- Enhanced Gallery media viewer with direct SD card access and photo editing tools
- Excclusive "Small Apps" for multitasking
- New home screen actions such as dragging icons together to create folders
- Improved web browser that allows you to switch between mobile and desktop websites, and the ability to save pages for offline viewing
- Access files directly from SD card
- Native screenshot capture via Power Button and "Volume -"
Existing Tablet S users need to connect their devices to Wi-Fi to receive the prompt message for the system update. The whole downloading and installation process will take about a few minutes. Sony's second tablet offering, the Tablet P, will also be receiving the Android 4.0 update athough Sony has not released any specific date for it.
We've reached out to Sony Singapore on the availability of the Android 4.0 update for the Sony Tablet S in Singapore. According to Sony Singapore, it's taking a longer time to develop the software update than originally planned, as the system update software is being developed and released for reach country. Sony Singapore is in the process of estimating the release timing for the market, and will announce the time frame and updates in due course.