Sony PlayMemories v4.0 & New Firmware for Cyber-shot QX Cameras Announced
Sony has announced plans for software and firmware updates designed to improve the overall usability, speed, and functionality of the Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 "Lens-style" cameras. The software update for the PlayMemories mobile app v4.0 is now available on both Google Play and App Store for all Sony Wi-Fi enabled cameras in addition to the Cyber-shot QX series.
The updated app will feature:-
- Embedded Photo Browser – A "Quick Viewer" photo browser has been added to the PlayMemories Mobile app
- Improved Speed and Functionality – The newest version of the application will have improved connectivity speed when linking to devices running the Apple iOS platform. More specifically, connection start up time will be approximately twice as fast compared to previous versions of PlayMemories Mobile
Sony will be releasing another software update in Q2 2014 to improve connectivity speed with Android devices.
Additionally, there will be a firmware update for QX cameras in January 2014 which will add a variety of capabilities including:-
- Full HD Movie Recording (QX100 and QX10): Both cameras will have the ability to shoot Full HD 1080p video (1920x1080@30p in MP4)
- Shutter Priority ("S") Model (QX100 only): Added to the QX100 camera to allow direct access control to shutter speed
- Expanded ISO Shooting Range (QX100 and QX10): Each camera will be able to shoot at higher ISO settings for greater versatility in low-light conditions. The QX10 will be expanded from max ISO 1600 to max ISO 3200. The QX100 will be expanded from max ISO 3200 to max ISO 12800.