Seagate Unveils World's Fastest Enterprise Hard Drive
Seagate has announced that it has begun shipping the world's fastest hard drive - the Seagate Enterprise Turbo SSHD.
The industry's first enterprise solid state hybrid drive (SSHD) combines the capacity of a hard drive with solid-state flash enabling high-speed performance for mission critical data. Available in capacities of up to 600GB, the Enterprise Turbo SSHD provides up to a threefold increase in random performance over existing 15K-RPM drives.
Over the past year, Seagate and IBM have been putting an enterprise SSHD prototype through its paces. After months of testing in Seagate and IBM labs, the first enterprise SSHD has been introduced as an option for the IBM System x servers.
Based on preliminary performance testing using standard system benchmarking tools, a 10K-RPM version of enterprise SSHD boasts IOPS over 2 times better than a standard 600GB 10K-RPM hard disk drive. The end result is much improved and more cost effective performance for servers running mission critical applications such as big data analytics, virtual desktop infrastructure, and database and transaction processing.
The Enterprise Turbo SSHD enables lower cost server and storage configurations, making it appealing for OEMs and system builders who demand the highest, scalable performance at an affordable cost. It also delivers up to 3 times the current mission critical HDD random performance at an HDD-comparable price. An extremely efficient and economical storage solution, the drive provides significantly improved $/IOPS.
The drive fine tunes storage tiering by caching at the I/O level, thereby addressing performance gaps and bottlenecks often found in tiered system environments. It also offers a self-encrypting drive option to maximize security for data-at-rest.
Key features of the Seagate Enterprise Turbo SSHD include:-
- World’s Fastest Enterprise Hard Drive - boasts ultra-fast speed with up to 3X the increase in random performance over standard 15K-RPM drives.
- Industry’s First Enterprise SSHD - delivers transparent SSD-like performance to most heavily accessed data.
- Ultimate Capacity - features up to 600GB of capacity, the highest enterprise performance drive available today.
- Affordably Priced - yields 3X the current mission critical HDD random performance at an HDD-comparable price.
- High-Reliability - provides enterprise endurance and reliability.