Parallels Access 2.0 Now Supports Android and iPhone for PC/Mac Remote Access
Parallels just announced a huge update to its Parallels Access services. Previously available only for the iPad (via the App Store or purchasing a Retail Box at authorized resellers), Parallels Access 2.0 will now support Android devices and the iPhone.
Parallels Access was first released in August last year, giving users access to their Windows PCs or Macs on-the-go and navigate them using familiar iOS touch screen gestures. Parallels terms this as "applifying" the desktop experience. This is useful when you need to retrieve a file that has only one copy saved in your computer, or opening an industry-specific software not available on mobile devices. The same convenience is now extended to iPhone and Android smartphone/tablet users.
Other new features include:
- Facebook login integration
- Adding desktop applications onto the home screen for easy access (Android)
- New file browser to navigate files and folders on the remote computer on an iOS friendly interface
- Microphone support for iOS devices
- Different options for screen resolutions to cater to different screen sizes
Supported devices and computers:
- iPad Mini, iPad Mini with Retina Display, iPad 2 and above running iOS 7
- iPhone 4S or later running iOS7
- Most Android tablets and phones running Android 4.0 or later
- PC running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
- Mac running OS X 10.7 Lion, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Subscription prices are slashed to S$25.98 a year or S$44.98 for two years (down from S$64.98 a year at launch). If you purchase before June 30, you can sign up for a limited time offer of US$29.99 for two years (Update: S$38.98 for Singapore users). The subscription allows for remote access to a maximum of five remote computers from an unlimited number of iOS and Android devices.
Parallels is also offering Parallels Access for Business for free until July 31, for any number of employees, computers and devices. After that, subscription rates start at US$49.99/year (Update: S$59/year for Singapore) for remote access to 5 PCs or Macs.
Parallels Access 2.0 is available immediately on the Apple iTunes App Store and Google Play store and comes with a 14-day free trial. Existing users simply need to update their apps to enjoy the new features.