A recent Microsoft survey reveals an increasing trend of criminals using traditional telephone landlines and posing as computer security experts in their scams.
Microsoft surveyed 7,000 computer users in the UK, Ireland, U.S., and Canada.
As summarized by Neowin:
- 15% of those users report receiving a phone call as the one mentioned above.
- 22% of those users, or 3% of the surveyed 7000 users, followed the instructions given by the scammers.
- Of those users that were deceived, 79% of these users have had money taken from them. In addition, 19% of them reported stolen passwords, and 17% of those users were victims of identity fraud.
- The average cost to the affected victims was $875 per victim.
- The average cost to undo the damage done by the scammers was $1730.
You can read Microsoft's advice in more detail in the press release.