Lumia Black Software Update Arrives
Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 owners, rejoice! The Lumia Black software update rolls out today, offering users from all around the world new features, improvements in imaging, new apps, and app updates from Microsoft and Nokia.
Enhancements and new functions include:-
- App Folder (brand new feature) upgrades your Lumia experience to a more fluid one by giving you an option to further personalize and organize your Start screen
- Nokia Glance screen 2.0 helps you keep track of your information in real time; important notifications (e.g. messages, email, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp) always visible on your screen
- Bluetooth LE will be enabled across the full WP8 Lumia range for compatible gadgets like the Adidas MiCoach smart run watch
- Nokia Refocus comes to all WP8 Lumia smartphones with 1GB RAM (and upwards)
- Nokia Beamer to beam documents, presentations, anything you like, to any HTML5-enabled screen by simply scanning a QR code on the screen. Coming to all phones with 1GB RAM upwards
- Nokia Storyteller arranges your photos for you, by date and by place, and give extra context through the close integration of interactive maps
- Nokia Camera combines Nokia Pro Camera and Smart Camera to simplify the photo-taking experience, and ensure you get the perfect shot every time. Available for Lumia PureView smartphones since last year; arriving on rest of WP8 Lumia range. Latest Nokia Camera update also brings raw DNG support for Lumia 1020 owners
- Latest generation of imaging algorithms improves image quality, especially in Lumia 1020. Among others, the improvements include a new oversampling algorithm, making your images more natural looking with reduced noise, while ensuring your photos remain sharp
Also, this Lumia Black update also brings a series of augmentations from Microsoft to Nokia Lumia smartphones. These include safe driving mode – which cuts out unnecessary distractions when you’re on the road; customised ringtones for each contact. You can now also close apps within the in multitasking view and lock the screen rotation if you wish.
The update has begun airing to Lumia 1020 and Lumia 925 smartphones, with other models in the range to follow soon. Nokia Lumia smartphones automatically check for updates every week, and will notify people when it finds one.
For the uninitiated, here's how to update manually: Go to Settings > Phone update. It'll download and install directly from there.