IDA to OpenNet: You Have Three Days

IDA to OpenNet: You Have Three Days

Image credit: OpenNet

The Infocomm Development Authority has imposed a new set of minimum standards for OpenNet to comply. Starting next year, OpenNet has three days to connect users' homes to the Next-Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (Next-Gen NBN). Waiting time commences when a service provider submits a connection request on behalf of the customer to the network builder. The three-day window applies to 98 percent of home users in Singapore. As for the remaining 2 percent, OpenNet has 4 to 7 days to complete connection works. There are four new minimum standards for OpenNet to adhere to.

According to IDA's statement in February, consumers may wait for up to two weeks for an installation. And as things stand, there are currently 170,000 fibre broadband subscribers on the island. The remaining set of minimum standards require OpenNet to meet 80 percent of orders for commercial buildings within four weeks, and all orders within eight weeks. If OpenNet were to breach any of the requirements, they are liable to be fined at least $10,000 for failing to fulfill each standard per month. In other words, if OpenNet fails to meet all four prerequisites, they could be hit with a minimum penalty of $40,000 in total.   

OpenNet was informed of the new standards on July 20th. The firm stated that they were disappointed with IDA's decision and has since appealed against it. 

Source: My Paper via AsiaOne


All News Categories

News for Past 12 Months

Subscribe to HWZ Here!

Subscribe now to receive latest tech news, articles and promotions straight to your inbox!
By signing up, you indicate that you have read and agreed to the and .

Obsessed with technology?
Subscribe to the latest tech news as well as exciting promotions from us and our partners!
By subscribing, you indicate that you have read & understood the SPH's Privacy Policy and PDPA Statement.