Micron Introduces Next-gen SSD for Personal Storage and Media
Micron has announced the M550 SSD.
Designed to meet the demands of high-performance computing, ultrathin, and media/video applications, the new SSD is available to system builders under the Crucial brand and to OEM customers under the Micron brand. Offering 20 times better performance than a traditional hard drive, it enables quick boot-up, speedy file and program access, near instant wake from sleep, as well as ultra-efficient power management for increased battery life.
Drawing as little as 0.15W during normal operation, the M550 design tightly integrates Micron NAND and firmware to deliver up to 95,000 IOPS. The drive's sequential speeds reach up to 550MBps for reads and 500MBps for writes, maxing out the capabilities of the SATA 6Gbps interface.
The M550 has also been chosen as the preferred storage solution for AJA, a leading manufacturer of high-quality digital video interface, conversion and desktop solutions for professional broadcast and post-production. It also leverages controller technology (88SS9189 SSD controller) from the industry leaders at Marvell.
- Best-in-Class Hardware Encryption: Keeps personal files and sensitive information secure in the event of device theft or loss.
- Device Sleep Low-Power Mode: Enables the drive to draw practically no power while in sleep mode and respond instantly when the laptop is opened.
- Data Protection: Employs onboard power-loss protection and advanced error recovery techniques to protect the integrity of stored data.
- Adaptive Thermal Management: Dynamically adjusts power consumption based on system temperature for ultra-small, thermally constrained systems.
- Reliability: Our proprietary RAIN technology provides built-in fail-over protection at the NAND level.
|Crucial M550 2.5-inch SSD||Price in S$|
The smaller M.2 and mSATA form factors will be available through Crucial later this year, in capacities up to 512GB. The drive is supported by a three-year limited warranty, and is compatible with both PC and Mac systems.
The Micron M550 SSD is also available in a 64GB capacity; all configurations are available for immediate sampling and are sold direct to OEMs and via the company's distribution network.