Apple Rumor Round-up: New iPad to Come This Month?
Yesterday, The Wall Street Journal published a piece saying that Apple will begin production of a new iPhone in the second quarter of the year, leading to a possible summer launch. The WSJ also continued rumors that Apple is making a less expensive iPhone, which could be launched as soon as the second half of this year, with a four-inch screen and multi-colored shells.
However, the really juicy bits came up later in a Branch discussion kicked off by the WSJ article, which featured tech-writing heavyweights like MG Siegler and John Gruber. Most them seem to agree that:
- The iPhone 5S will likely come in the later half of the year, after WWDC in June.
- A new iPad with an iPad-mini-like look is likely to come this month or in May.
- iOS 7 will feature a UI overhaul, thanks to Sir Jonathan Ive now in charge of both the hardware and software.
- "Ive's work is apparently making many people really happy, but will also apparently make rich-texture-loving designers sad."
- Some kind of biometric scanner might be included on the iPhone 5S.
It's all still speculation at this point, but if any rumors are worth reading, it's probably from these guys.