Notebooks - HP & Lenovo
HP (Level 4, Booth 8150, 8245, 8428)
HP Envy 14 Spectre
By now you should have heard about what Gorilla Glass can do for you. If you still haven't, Gorilla Glass is supposed to be scratch-resistant, and is used mainly on most of top-end smartphones in the market today -- until now. The HP Envy Spectre is currently the only notebook in the market that features the durable material on screen, palm rest, and exterior (lid) of the machine. This is HP's second Ultrabook, aimed squarely at the premium segment which basically means it costs more than your average Ultrabook. But for the extra cash, it comes with frills like Monster's Beats audio, an accompanying jog dial, HP Radiance backlit keyboard, and wireless audio on top of the usual Ultrabook specs like a slim form factor and SSD drive.
- IT Show Price: Core i5 (1.6GHz) $1999
- Usual Price:Core i5 (1.6GHz) $1999
- Promotion: Free Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones ($420), HP HDMI-VGA Adapter ($49), HP Wi-Fi Touch Mouse X7000 ($79).
HP Folio 13
When the biggest PC manufacturer decides to their release of an Ultrabook, you'd think they'd have a really good reason. Well, that reason is the HP Folio 13. There's nothing outwardly spectacular about the Folio 13, and at 1.5kg, it even weighs more than the average Ultrabook. Even it's raw performance is nothing to write home about. However, the extra weight is due to the bigger battery capacity that the Folio sports. For us, this is a trade-off we're willing to take because an ultra portable is only worth as much as its battery life. And in the Folio's case, it is a spectacular 5 hours of video playing.
- IT Show Price: $1399
- Usual Price: $1499
- Promotion: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security, carrying case, 90-day smart care service plan, Beats Solo Headphones, HP Wi-Fi Mouse, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010.
HP Envy 15
Are you looking for a multimedia machine yet want something fairly affordable? We can't guarantee any thrills but the new HP Envy 15 is definitely full of frills: like the Beats branded audio (complete with hidden subwoofers) on the machine as well as an all-aluminum body. This sexy machine comes standard with an incredible 8GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD, an AMD Radeon HD 7690M discrete graphics module, and an Intel quad-core, Core i7 processor. With that much firepower, you can safely assume that this is a machine that the whole family will enjoy.
- IT Show Price: Core i7 $1999
- Usual Price: Core i7 $1999
- Promotion: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security, carrying case, 90-day smart care service plan, HP Wi-Fi Mouse.
|Click here for HP notebook brochures.|
Lenovo (Level 4, Booth 8358)
Lenovo Ideapad U Series
When you're the brand behind the famous Thinkpad line, there are things which you will definitely get right. Things like the keyboard found on Lenovo's U series of Ultrabooks for example. Just hammering away at the keyboard reminds us of the robust keyboards which you'd find on the business-flavored Thinkpads. And if that isn't enough, the Ideapad U series of notebooks are designed to look like folded magazines when closed up. The final feature which got us really impressed with this little beauty is the extremely good battery life (288 minutes while playing a video loop), which in our opinion is the most important feature of an ultra portable notebook.
- IT Show Price: Core i5 (2.5GHz) U400 $1299, Core i7 (2.7GHz) U400 $1599, Core i7 (1.8GHz, 256GB SSD) U300s $2099, Core i5 (1.6GHz, 500GB HDD + 32GB SSD) U300e $1299
- Usual Price: Core i5 (2.5GHz) U400 $1499, Core i7 (2.7GHz) U400 $1799, Core i7 (1.8GHz, 256GB SSD) U300s $2299, Core i5 (1.6GHz, 500GB HDD + 32GB SSD) U300e $1499
- Promotion: Free McAfee Anti-virus Plus, upgrade to 8GB RAM, Microsoft Home and Business Edition.
- More Information: HWZ Review
Lenovo Ideapad Z470
The Lenovo Ideapad Z470 is an affordable multimedia machine that is capable of performing almost any task you can think of with its second-generation Intel processors and an NVIDIA Geforce GT 630M (2GB) discrete graphics module. That means buying one for the family is a no-brainer. The only problem would be having to retrieve it from another family member who is busy producing or consuming content. To make sure that you find a color that the whole family loves, the Ideapad also comes in blue, pink and black. The Z470 also comes with a free RAM upgrade to 8GB.
- IT Show Price: Core i5, $999, Core i7 $1199
- Usual Price: Core i5, $1199, Core i7 $1399
- Promotion: Free McAfee Anti-Virus, Free upgrade to 8GB RAM, 2nd year carry-in warranty, Lenovo Mouse
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E420
If you're looking for a no-nonsense business notebook, one of the first brands you'd wish your IT department would consider is Lenovo -- that is after they took over the Thinkpad brand from IBM. But unless you're a high-flying CEO, you won't be getting the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 from your IT department. However chances are high that you will end up with a Thinkpad Edge E420. This business notebook is sleek enough to slide in your briefcase, while light enough for you to carry it around with ease. Besides having Lenovo's "enhanced experience 2.0 for Windows" to help boost start-up and shut-down times, it also comes with a very business friendly Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery feature.
- IT Show Price: Core i5 (2.5GHz) $1319
- Usual Price: Core i5 (2.5GHz) U400 $1499
- Promotion: Free additional 2GB of RAM, and a free copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business edition
- More Information: HWZ Review
|Click here for Lenovo notebook brochures.|